VALDOSTA CITY SCHOOL SYSTEM
OFFICIAL TITLE: Teacher
SUPERVISOR: School Administration
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Ten (10) months
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: Helps students learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able, and responsible men and women.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the student.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Prepares for classes assigned and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate administrator.
- Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and--in harmony with the goals--establishes clear objectives for all units, projects, and the like, to communicate these objectives to students.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Strives to implement by instruction and action the district’s philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
- Diagnoses the learning disabilities of students on a regular basis and seeks the assistance of district specialists as required.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Teacher
- Maintains accurate, complete and correct records as required by law, district policy and administrative regulation.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Makes provision for being available to students and parents for education related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for paraprofessionals and volunteer(s), and evaluates their performance.
- Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Attends staff meetings and serves on staff committees as required.
- Abides by all Code of Ethics for Educators and Board policies.
- Maintains a pattern of prompt and regular attendance.
- Other duties may be assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelors degree and completed state-approved educator preparation program or have an out-of-state certificate.
CERTIFICATE AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS: Valid Georgia teaching certificate or be eligible for certification.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Designated students, paraprofessionals, and volunteers.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
DATE REVISED: 7/6/10
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned. Valdosta City Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the Board. The statements are not all inclusive and represent typical elements and criteria considered essential to the successful performance of the job. EOE
Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance . 403 (b)